Thursday, December 3, 2009

Software & a Full Moon

Before I could even get out of the house this morning, I was having software "issues". The laptop had a big software update that needed completing before I could leave. It finally shutdown and I was able to leave, once at the office on start up the ever delightful, completing updates flashed on the screen. It just a took a longer to get the day started.

Later on in the morning, our hygienist caught up with me to let me know about another software problem that was going on. To fix this one we had to do a data backup and have everyone out of the software. By the time that we were ready to proceed, I'd been on hold for 20 minutes, patients had arrived at the office for their afternoon appointments. Looks like I'll be getting this one straight first thing in the morning.

While talking to our tech support in California, I found out that Thursdays are typically the big day for software updates and issues. They told me that Microsoft usually issues big software updates on Wednesday night. That answers the issue I had this morning at home and why all the office computers were off when I arrived at the office. Funny thing was that the laptop had started acting a little "funny" just before the update came out. It was like it "knew" it was coming. Then again it could have all been the fault of the full moon - we all know how strange people get during one so maybe it has been built into the computers to act strangely as well.

This morning on the way to the office, Mom caught me and asked if I would try to get a photo of the full moon before it set this morning. It was funny sitting in a parking lot near Midlothian Turnpike with the camera hanging out the window trying to get the shot. Not too bad though for the conditions.

I've been busy today working on the new magazine edition. Trying to get some inspiration for new page layouts. I've come up with several new ideas and hope that everyone likes them when they are presented. I'm still not quite happy with the color scheme, but that will work itself out over the next couple of weeks. I'm shooting to have this all wrapped up before the 21st. That way I can focus on other things over Christmas.

Around lunch time today, I heard a forecast for SNOW for the weekend. I sent Walter to the hardware store for a couple of snow shovels. We got caught without one last year and perhaps, just having one will help to ward it off at least for a while.

Jami's daughter brought in her new daughter to the office this afternoon. She is a doll baby. Tiny little thing too! She's just three weeks old and right around 7 lbs. It was fun holding on to her for a bit. I'd forgotten how fun the little ones are. It's been a long time since I've had one around. It surely wouldn't take long to get back into practice though. I guess it's like riding a bike, you really never forget.

They are dropping like flies at the office. One of the receptionist, came back from lunch with a new job, and will be leaving after the first of the year. It's amazing how you get so dependent upon certain people always being there. I'll miss having her around.

I'll be heading out early this afternoon to get a haircut. I'll be nice to get that done and be home about the same time as I regularly do.

Email & Newsletter Gleanings:

Thought For the Day: "Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism." -- George Washington

Congress at work

Congress at work, wanna bet they did not have to buy the computers with their own money as well.

Nothing else need to be said. This is one of their THREE DAY WORK WEEKS that we all pay for. I am ready to start from the beginning by voting out all elected officials and not letting any of them stay in office for more than two terms. No more lifelong health care, retirement, voting in their own pay raises, taking perks on our taxes, etc.


House Minority Leader Lawrence F. Cafero Jr., R-Norwalk, pictured standing, far right, speaks while colleagues Rep. Barbara Lambert, D-Milford and Rep. Jack F. Hennessy, D-Bridgeport, play solitaire Monday night as the House convened to vote on a new budget. (AP)

The guy sitting in the row in front of these two... he's on Facebook, and the guy behind Hennessy is checking out the baseball scores.

These are the folks that can't get the budget out by Oct. 1, But they got a salary increase this year. Seriously!!!

USPS Stamp Malfunction

The Unites States postal Services created a stamp with a picture of President Obama on it. Subsequently, it was noticed that the stamp was not sticking to envelopes. This enraged the President, who demanded a full investigation. After a month of testing and $1.73 million in congressional spending, a special Presidential commission presented the following findings:

The stamp is in perfect order.
There is nothing wrong with the glue.
People are spitting on the wrong side.

No comments: