Sunday, October 24, 2010

Navy Drill Team

"When I was in Navy boot camp in 1968-69, the winters in Waukegan IL are to die for and some did, I got to see live the various Navy drill teams including the silent drill team. I had considered trying out for one of the drill teams because I was the right height and weight and there was no sea duty. Two things changed my mind.

You can’t see it in the video but the drill team guys I talked to all had multiple scars on their face and hands. It was also not uncommon to see them with black eyes. In case you were wondering those light weight weapons they are twirling like batons are WWII type M1 Garand’s that weigh about 11 pounds not including the [real] but chrome plated bayonet which weighs about 3 pounds. Yes the rifles have been balanced but try picking up a 4 foot piece of pipe that weighs about 14 pounds and spinning it around like a baton.

I’ve seen the Marine Corps drill team a couple of times and it is hard to say which is better. The Marines wear their dress blues which is the best looking military uniform on earth and certainly better looking than Navy summer whites.

The other reason I didn’t apply for the drill team program is that when I went into boot camp I was a very in shape 210 pounds. Eight weeks later after no heat in the barracks, a slight breeze coming off of Lake Michigan and a bad case of pneumonia I weighed 161 (that’s not a typo). Enjoy the video." - Bob Hage


Thanks to Jeff for passing this along to me.

No comments: