Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My Early "Friday"

The week has surely flown by. Monday we had a RAUG meeting at ArtWorks. Great meeting too. Edwin Huertas of Shockoe gave a presentation Dreamweaver and WordPress, very enlightening.

I've been busy completing the next issue of the Smiles of Richmond magazine and adding to the website, adding lots of new before and after pictures of Dr. Martin's patients.

This afternoon we had a power outage at the office.  Just as a couple of us were sitting down to a late lunch, out went the lights.  Not once, not twice, but four times.  It was lovely watching the power flick on and off that many times.  It was out for a little over an hour.  No AC, computers, lights, or phones.  Thank goodness for everyone's cell phones.  Turned out that the outage was caused by a downed power line near St. Edward's Catholic School.

This evening, I took Bounce out for a walk to the school.  He did very well for his first major excursion.  I'll probably get him out early in the morning for a quick walk before I head out for the morning.

On fun note, I've got a four day weekend!  Yeah!  Going to visit with Mom & Dad some, do some class work, watch some instructional videos, 'clean' house and maybe even find some time to do something fun.

Email & Newsletter Gleanings:

OH I LOVE PAYBACK!

Jennifer's wedding day was fast approaching. Nothing could dampen her excitement - not even her parent's nasty divorce.

Her mother had found the PERFECT dress to wear, and would be the best-dressed mother-of-the-bride ever!

A week later, Jennifer was horrified to learn that her father's new, young wife had bought the exact same dress as her mother!

Jennifer asked her father's new young wife to exchange it, but she refused. "Absolutely not! I look like a million bucks in this dress, and I'm wearing it," she replied.

Jennifer told her mother who graciously said, "Never mind sweetheart. I'll get another dress. After all, it's your special day."

A few days later, they went shopping, and did find another gorgeous dress for her mother.

When they stopped for lunch, Jennifer asked her mother, "Aren't you going to return the other dress? You really don't have another occasion where you could wear it."

Her mother just smiled and replied, "Of course I do, dear. I'm wearing it to the rehearsal dinner the night before the wedding."

Rings as Clear as the "Liberty Bell"

The owner of the Phoenix Suns basketball team, Robert Sarver, opposes AZ's new immigration laws. Arizona's Governor, Jan Brewer, released the following statement in response to Sarver's criticism of the new law:

"What if the owners of the Suns discovered that hordes of people were sneaking into games without paying?

What if they had a good idea who the gate-crashers are, but the ushers and security personnel were not allowed to ask these folks to produce their ticket stubs, thus non-paying attendees couldn't be ejected.

Furthermore, what if Suns' ownership was expected to provide those who sneaked in with complimentary eats and drink?

And what if, on those days when a gate-crasher became ill or injured, the Suns had to provide free medical care and shelter?" ~ Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer

Chap Stick

We had this great 10 year old cat named Jack who just recently died.

Jack was a great cat and the kids would carry him around and sit on him and nothing ever bothered him. He used to hang out and nap all day long on the mat in our bathroom. We have 3 kids and at the time of this story they were 4 years old, 3 years old and 1 year old.

The middle one is Eli. Eli really loved chap stick. LOVED it. He kept asking to use my chap stick and then losing it. I’d get another...Eli would use it and lose it.

This went on for months and finally one day I showed him where in the bathroom that I kept my chap stick and explained he could use it whenever he wanted to but he needed to put it right back in the drawer after he finished.

That year on Mother's Day, we were having the typical rush around to try to get ready for church with everyone crying and carrying on. My two boys are fighting over the toy in the cereal box.

I am trying to nurse my little one at the same time I am putting on my make-up. Everything is a mess and everyone has long forgotten that this is a wonderful day to honor me and the amazing job that is motherhood.

We finally have the older one and the baby loaded in the car, and I am looking for Eli. I have searched everywhere and I finally go into the bathroom.

There was Eli. He was applying my chap stick very carefully to Jack's rear end. Eli looked right into my eyes and said "chapped..."

Now if you have a cat, you know that he is right - their little bottoms do look pretty chapped. And, frankly, Jack didn't seem to mind. And the only question to ask at that point was whether it was the FIRST time Eli had done that to the cat's behind or the hundredth!?!

And THAT is my favorite Mother's Day moment ever, because it reminds us that no matter how hard we try to civilize these glorious little creatures, there will always be that day when you realize... they've been using your chap stick on the cat's butt.

No comments: