Saturday, November 17, 2007

A Busy Saturday

This morning the Volvo had a temperamental moment and has decided that it was a good day to try to race its way in to oblivion. As I walked out of the apartment I heard what sounded like a jet engine taking off and saw a LARGE plume of black smoke rolling across the parking lot. It was NOT a good thing!

Out the door first thing this morning to head off to the Midas shop to give blood and get an oil change in the Camry. Well, the giving blood didn't go so well. They weren't able to locate a large enough vein in my arm in which to draw blood from - so I wasn't able to give. But, Walter and his jumbo sized veins more than made up for it.

When my oil change was done, I found out that there were 3 nails in my left rear tire. Now it hasn't been a couple of weeks since I had two new tires put on the car - I just about believe that they were in there when I had the others put on. As you can see they were towards the underside of the car. One was in the side wall and couldn't be repaired otherwise I'd have been able to just have the other two plugged.

Once the new tire was put on the car, Walter & I headed off to the credit union so that he could find out what kind of car he could afford. It turned out that he has a WONDERFUL credit rating and was able to qualify for a great rate and to do so all on his own! No co-signers.

Loan secured and we were off to shop for him a new car. Our first stop was Jim's Auto where he found a nice '99 GMC Jimmy, and at a really nice price. He took a quick test drive and it drove quite nicely. Of course then we proceeded to go to just about every used auto lot up and down Jeff-Davis Hwy and Hull Street only to end back at Jim's Auto to test drive the Jimmy for a second time.

On the second trip back, Walt took a second test drive this time out to see Patrick - who checked it over and pronounced it alright. Walt then dropped by to have Dean take a peek at it as well. There were only a couple of minor issues that are basically maintenance related. The only thing that the dealer will need to take care of is a service engine light that is on and to replace a relay that controls the gas gauge. So things are all set for him to pick up the car on Monday evening after work I know that there are some papers that he is going to need to sign as well with the Credit Union, so he may not get the vehicle until Tuesday. But at least he will be set up before Thanksgiving.

No comments: