Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sunday

There was a minor/major computer crisis that arose around here at 2:00 a.m. I got up to let Carla out when I discovered that the computer had shut down. Figuring that it had become unplugged and the battery had died down, I checked all the plugs only to discover that the power cabling had been fried. So, here I sat at 2:30 a.m. worrying about what in the world I'm going to do. My first gut reaction had been that the computer had been totally fried. After I found out that it hadn't, I was able to transfer all the data files off before the battery died down to such a low level that it just shut down the computer.

I was able to get on line using the Archos and find the proper replacement cable and get it ordered. This relieved some of the stress over the situation, but still would not help me out on Monday (the cord will not be delivered until Tuesday - sometime). Still it put me at ease enough to head back to bed.

Before church this morning I put out a couple of help calls and before 1 p.m. I was the proud and grateful owner of a universal power supply. YIPEE! That gave me opportunity to get the computer powered back up and the battery charged. Everything looks good and I am much relieved. My computer guy is dropping by work tomorrow to check the battery, as a favor.

The afternoon was spent visiting with Mom & Dad and picking up a full-size bed from their house for Walter. He'll sleep much better now that he has some extra space to spread out in. Once we got the bed back to Walt's, Mom & Dad came down for a brief visit.

Walter & Dad started cutting up about who was taller and trying to out "stretch" each other upwardly. I do think that Walter won this one, at least by 1/2 a head.




Email & Newsletter Gleanings:

Thought For the Day: Doubt is a pain too lonely to know that faith is his twin brother.- Kahlil Gibran

Better Preaching

After the visiting preacher finished, a woman came up and said, "You were much better than the preacher we had last Sunday. He spoke for an hour and said nothing."

"Thank you," the visiting preacher replied.

"Yes," she continued. "You did it in fifteen minutes."

Red Tape

A friend of mine was in the hospital awaiting the arrival of her first child. When I telephoned the hospital to see if the baby had arrived, the nurse said it had. I asked if it was a boy or girl and was told that it was against hospital policy to give this information over the phone.

"Fine," I said. "I can understand that. But can you tell me what she didn't have?"

"It wasn't a boy," came the reply.

The Old Priest

The old priest lay dying in the hospital. For years, he had faithfully served the people of the nation's capital.

He motioned for his nurse to come near. "Yes, Father?" said the nurse.

"I would really like to see Senator's Ted Kennedy and Hillary Clinton before I die," whispered the priest.

"I'll see what I can do, Father" replied the nurse.

The nurse sent the request to the Senate and waited for a response. Soon the word arrived; Senator's Kennedy and Clinton would be delighted to visit the priest.

As they went to the hospital, Hillary commented to Teddy, "I don't know why the old priest wants to see us, but it will certainly will help our images and might even get me elected President. After all, I'm IN IT TO WIN IT."

Kennedy agreed--it was a good thing.

When they arrived at the priest's room, the priest took Ted's hand in his right hand and Hillary's hand in his left. There was silence and a look of serenity on the old priest's face.

Finally Senator Kennedy spoke. "Father, of all the people you could have chosen, why did you choose us to be with you as you near the end?"

The old priest slowly replied, "I have always tried to pattern my life after our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."

"Amen" said Teddy.

"Amen" said Hillary.

The old priest continued...

"He died between two lying thieves. I would like to do the same."

No comments: