Friday, September 12, 2008

Florence Bound

I was up early and on the roof of our hotel in Rome, trying to get a nice sunrise. No such luck - the skies were overcast. I was able to get a few shots of the city wall. I was thinking that Walter would appreciate seeing it.

A quick stop at the ladies room before we left gave me a big chuckle. The images on the door were just...there were nudes on the doors with just a wisp of a fig leaf strategically placed. I do have photos.

We made into Florence around 12:45 p.m. We are staying at the Grand Hotel Adriatico. Cute room, much nicer that yesterday. I even have a full size shower. No small phone booth to shower in.

We are headed into the heart of Florence shortly for lunch and sightseeing - followed by shopping. We'll be seeing the Ocagna's Loggia, Church of S. Croce, plus a few other things. Sunday we will be going to the Uffizi Gallery.

Lunch was outstanding although lunch was on our own today, virtually the entire group gathered together at the same restaurant. The pizza was nothing like home. It will makes Papa John's pale by comparison. Following lunch we explore the gold jewlers just outside of the piazzao. I found an equisite braclet that goes with my ring. Leaving the gold shop, the first thing that I saw was a sign for a surgeon dentist.

We went to the Straw Market, where were took the obligatory rub of the bull and had photos taken. Rubbing the bull is said to bring good luck. I rambled through the market for prospective treats to return home with.

I took some photos of some wonderful chalk drawings on the street near the market, with just a little bit of "tweaking" the perspective will be correct. The disadvantages of being vertically challenged is that I have to make the corrections.

The clouds began rolling in to the piazzo around 4:30 p.m., so we began our trek back to the bus. (Bushes are limited to operating in only select areas of Firenze [Florence] and even then permits to do so cost 300 Euros per day. We passed the National Library just before boarding our bus, As we pulled away from the curb the heavens opened up and the downpour began. It continued raining and even picked up as we arrived at the hotel There was even hail!

Following a short rest in our rooms, we regathered for dinner in the hote. After I make this post I am heading to bed. Our wake up call in the morning will be early, as we need to on the bus to leave for the train station at 7:30 a.m. to catch the train for Venice. If there is no rain the gondola ride will be wonderful. If there is rain, no problems - that's what umbrellas ar for. We will be back at the same hotel tomorrow evening.

No comments: