Thursday, September 11, 2008

I am here

I arrived in Rome this morning around 8:30 a.m. (Rome time). Our flight to Rome got off a little late from Atlant, due to some seating issues. But once underway hings progressed nicely. At around 10:29 p.m. (EST) we were flying over the Altlantic Ocean at 32,00 ft traveling at about 582 mph and the temperature outside the plane was delightful -5-degrees. From the map that they were showing we were off the coast of Ireland and Lisben, Spain was showing up on the map.

I was abe to nap on and off throughout the first par of the trip. My seatmate, however, never spoke a wordand had his head coveredwith a blanket for the majority of the time during the flight. The couple in the seat behind me chattered the entire flight. The woman had a very cutting voice, which even over rode the classical music that I was listening to in the headset.

As we arrived in Rome, when I first saw the Italian landscape, it brought tears to my eyes. I am not sure of what came over me, the thrill of finally getting here or some other primal pull.

Having my passport stamped turned out to be a real non-event. They did not ask any questions or even check the luggage. Who knows what the trip back will hold? I do know that customs will be involved them however.

The drive to the Hotel Victoria Rome, was harrowing. There were hundreds of motorcycles-scooters whizing around. That in of itself was not a bad thing, but...they drive with what appears to be not regard for other traffic, pedestrians, or the traffic signals. It reminded me of the movie, Under the Tuscan Sun, which stated that red lights were, "just a suggestion". I had heard that driving here was a blood sport...Now, I truly believe it.

My room is quite adequate. The window actually opens! Once I was settled I climbed into the shower, that was the about the size of a telephone booth, to bring myself back to life. After a short rest I headed out for a walk to the Spanish Steps. Interesting trip, I walked down the metro line which was entirely underground. (pictures to come of the Spanish Steps). On the way back I stopped into a grocery store and successfully found a nice salad for lunch.

This evening the entire group got together for a welcome drink and dinner. I was able to sign up for for several additional side tours this evening, the gondola ride in Venice; either a trip to Pisa or tour of the museum in Florence; then the tour of Capri; and the tour of the fountains & piazzas of Rome. I had a fabulous time at dinner. I have met two couples from New Jersey and and another group from Richmond as well. Dinner was fantastic as well as the conversation!

We have a wake up call for 6:30 a.m. and will be leaving the hotel for Florence at 8:00 a.m. Hopefully I will be able to check back in tomorrow evening from the new hotel. Until then....Having a great time in Rome!

It is late and we are leaving from the hotel in the morning at 8:00 a.m. following breakfast to head for Florence.

No comments: