Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Another School Year Begins

The day began with school buses rolling down the road in front of the house, yet this is the first year that I have no children in the county school system. How did that happen? It doesn't seem that they should be old enough. Wasn't it just a few months ago that they were all bickering with one another about where they were sitting in the van as I drove them to school?

Well I guess it is right, Walt's been doing his own thing for a number of years now. Danielle is married and putting her own children on the bus for school; and of course, Sean just graduated in June.

Walt was complaining this morning on his way home from work about all the new traffic on the road. Getting everyone back on a 'school schedule' does disrupt the usual summer traffic slow down. Time to make adjustments in our travel schedules to accommodate the extra vehicles on the road.

Time marches on and everyone moves on. I definitely noticed a big change in the kids that catch the bus at the corner. Everyone has grown so over the summer - next thing we know it will be time for them all to get out for the summer and we'll be scratching our heads wondering where the time went.

Email & Newsletter Gleanings:

So very appropriate for the first day of a new school year.

3rd Grade Assignment

My daughter's third-grade teacher had assigned the children to write a story titled "Biggest Surprise." Not until the end of the school year did we see Marina's work. It read: "I got up this morning and I ran into Mommy and Daddy's bed and hopped in. But it wasn't Mommy at all. It was Mrs. Del Campo!"

What her essay neglected to say was that we had called Mrs. Del Campo late at night to stay with our children while I took my wife to the hospital to have our third child.

Learning Through Play

Our Lamaze class included a tour of the pediatric wing of the hospital. When a new baby was brought into the nursery, all the women tried to guess its weight, but the guy standing next to me was the only male to venture a number.

"Looks like 9 pounds," he offered confidently.

"This must not be your first," I said.

"Oh, yes," he said. "It's my first."

"Then how would you know the weight of a baby?" I asked.

He shrugged. "I'm a fisherman."

No comments: