Tuesday, May 16, 2006

More Yard Work

So many things to do, which made huge changes. I moved daylillies from the front corner of the yard (dividing them) and put them into a ring around the large mimosa in the yard. This will make it a bit easier to mow in that area. The next challenge was to move a rose bush, which spreads out like a shrub. It came out nicely with a bonus of a second plant which I put near the end of the drive for a little color. I replanted daylillies where the rose bush had been so there is something there in that space.

On to the back yard and the extreme digging, we had two butterfly bushes that died during the winter. They were looking really pitiful so with shovel in hand I "thought" that I would just pop the out of the ground. Little did I know that they had roots that went down over 2 feet. I got them up but what a chore. I them moved around a few of the things in that flower bed to compensate for the loss of the butterfly bushes and even moved the bird bath. I do believe that it came out nicely.

Then on a totally "wild hair" I was able to get with my sister who has crypte myrtles in her yard. I grabbed Walter (since his car was blocking mine in) and headed to her house., with the intent of coming home with three shoots (about 2-3 feet high) if we were lucky. Well luck was definitely with us. We found on offshoot about 5 feet tall. GREAT! Then Walt found out it was attached to a second tall one. EVEN BETTER!, until the moment of truth. We started passing it over the fence and that second tall one turned out to be 18 feet tall. Transportation was beginning to look like a real issue, but it strapped onto the GEO. I bet we look like a couple of crazy folks going down the road with those trees on the top of the car. I kept thinking in my mind of the Beverly Hillbillies.

It all turned out well and they are firmly planted in the back yard. The tallest one did require pruning in order to remain standing - It leaned way too much, from being supported by another tree. Can't wait till they really take hold. They will look fantastic.

No comments: