Sunday, December 9, 2007

Sunday Gone Awry

We started our trip towards home this morning around 10:15 a.m. We made a brief stop at Stickleyville and then began the climb up Powell mountain and home.

As we began the drive Walter was following behind me, (being a little pokey - doing 45 mph) so that i could provide directions. A couple of vehicles passed me going down the mountain, and it struck me as odd that Walter wasn't showing up in the rear view mirror. At the scenic overlook I called back to him on the cell phone to see if he was okay - I was thinking that something was wrong with the car. When he answered he said that he had been hit!

Back down the mountain to see how badly - when I got there I was petrified by what I saw. When I finally came to my senses, I had convinced several of the men at the scene to pry open his car door just in case of fire. There probably wouldn't have been one, but it sure made me feel better knowing that just in case we could get him out of the car.

Once they got his door open, by prying it open with his jack and a whole lot of brute strength. I was so grateful. Walter told me to calm down - I started taking photos of the scene so that he would be able to see what had happened later on.




























This is a brief video of the accident scene. It is amazing how quiet it is everything seemed so unreal.







































Here at the end they have Walter on the stretcher and are heading towards the awaiting ambulance for the journey to hospital in Kingsport, Tennessee.

Once Walter was out, we were really able to get a fantastic picture of just how squashed in he was. It was almost like he was at the center of an onion and had to be peeled out.

I had to wait for a while before I was able to leave the scene. I needed to talk with the State Trooper and the wrecker driver. By the time that I had begun my own journey to Kingsport Mom had mobilized the cousins and help was on the way.

Teresa met me at the hospital and guided me in. She was such a wonderful help. Staying with me until they I had had opportunity to see Walter and find out what was going to be happening with him. She graciously took Carla back to her house to watch her for the duration. That one little thing was a great relief - I wouldn't need to be trying to figure out how to have Carla in the car and Walter in the hospital at the same time. I could focus.

John Webb came to the ER to check on Walter (he had already been on his way to Nashville). He was a real big help - especially with the insurance coverage. Walter's wallet was lost somewhere in the wreckage in Lee County at the time. He was able to visit with Walt up until the time that he went into surgery. He took me to dinner in the hospital and stayed for a while, up until I shooed him off to continue on his trip. He would have stayed but there really wasn't anything anyone could do more at the time.

Teresa arrived back a short time later and stayed with me until Walt was out of surgery.

The surgery went well and only took 20 minutes once Walter was under anesthesia. Dr. Harris drew this to show the rod that he had put in Walt's leg and the location of the pins.

So by the time that they got Walter into a room it was after 6:30 p.m. I headed off to Wal-Mart to find some clothes for him to wear since the ladies in the ER had cut every piece of clothing that he had on off.

Poor thing was going to wind up being 'naked' and in some serious need of clothing, both for decency and warmth. I also had to pick him up some food to eat since he had been admitted after the kitchen had closed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HA, that's what he gets for stealing from his great-grandmother. I'm just upset that you were not in the car with him.