Friday, April 18, 2008

Friday

Welcome to Friday!

I'm looking forward to a wonderful weekend. I do hope that the nice weather holds out through out so that all of us office rats, have the opportunity to enjoy a bit of sunshine and pleasant weather.

The afternoon was quite pleasant - I enjoyed getting outside for a short while this afternoon. I did end up staying at work much longer than I had wanted to this evening though. But it was for a good cause - Verizon showed up at the office this morning to install the FIOS cabling into the office. This involved burying cable from the street to the back of the building and then fishing the line into the building under the parking lot. It work really well until it came to fishing the line into the building. That little feat of engineering took around 4 hours to accomplish. The cable wouldn't turn the corner and the insulation in the pipe didn't want to get out of the way. Finally at 6:30 everything was in and ready for the installer to show up. Now hopefully that won't take too long for him to get to the office next week.

Once I arrived back home this evening I discovered the the cable is still out...I called yesterday and reported it when I got home and here it is 24 hours later and still out. I reported it for a second time this evening, but Comcast isn't giving me any warm fuzzy feelings about getting it fixed. There isn't a live person to talk with or even a recorded message letting me know if there is a wide spread outage or not. I guess I'll either watch movies this evening or even better yet I'll work on some more of my Italian and see if that can't get moving along a bit more.

Email & Newsletter Gleanings:

Thought For the Day
: "The act of empowering others changes lives" John C. Maxwell

Air Boss

Activated from the Army Reserves for a joint service Arctic exercise, I was assigned to the air reconnaissance section.

Although I had recently been promoted, I was feeling rusty, and wanted to get started learning my duties so as not to appear too "green."

I confided to the Air Force lieutenant colonel who greeted me that I was anxious to meet the Air Boss right away.

"Don't worry, son," he said reassuringly, "the Air Boss is a real professional, knows his stuff cold and works well with his people. Great guy."

"Terrific!" I replied. "What's his name?"

Looking through the roster, the welcoming officer replied, "O'Hara."

"Oh, no," I groaned. "That's me."

Marriage Teachings

At the banquet of Tom and Susan's 25th wedding anniversary, Tom was asked to give his friends a brief account of the benefits of a marriage of such long duration. "Tell us, Tom, just what is it you have learned from all those wonderful years with your wife?"

Tom responded, "Well, I've learned that marriage is the best teacher of all. It teaches you loyalty, forbearance, meekness, self-restraint, forgiveness -- and a great many other qualities you wouldn't have needed if you'd stayed single."

"Through the years I've noticed that conscience gets a lot of credit that really belongs to cold feet."

Driver's Test

It was just another day at the DMV. I had taken a woman out on her driving test when a police cruiser came up behind us--sirens wailing, lights flashing.

"Was I speeding?" she asked the officer, after both cars pulled over.

"No," said the officer. "But you are driving a stolen vehicle."

Smiling awkwardly, the woman turned to me. "Does this mean I failed my test?"

Prayer

A Sunday school teacher asked her class, "What is prayer?"

One of her pupils answered, "That's a message sent to God at night and on Sundays, when the rates are lower."

1 comment:

Lisa Cobler said...

I have been reading your blog for awhile now and enjoy it so much. I am adding you to my "Reads" list.