Saturday, July 26, 2008

Road Trip To Yorktown

Lucky & I left out this morning for Yorktown. The route was not a quick one, but that was the point. We went down Route 10 to the Jamestown Ferry. The ride and the scenery were very nice. There was a bit of a wait for the ferry, but we did make it onto the first one to arrive.

Once under way, while I pulled out the camera, another couple (also out riding) came over and talked with Lucky about the bike and various trips. I was able to get a few shoots on the way across the James. The gulls were all crowded around the piling near the dock. The pictures were a bit tough from the movement of the ferry.

A little further out into the channel, I spotted a pair of falcons on the channel marker. What type I'm not sure, I haven't looked them up yet. The close up shot isn't the best thing in the world (a bit fuzzy) but may make identification easier.













This is a shot of the Jamestown shoreline (inside the National Park).Our ride continued on the Colonial Parkway. From past trips, I remembered this as being a nice drive, but...on the bike it was so much better. We saw a few heron in the wetland grasses. There were also a large number of biker's out riding as well.

We hit Yorktown and headed to the waterfront for lunch at the Yorktown Pub. Parking was at a premium, there were bikes everywhere. We lucked out and caught a car pulling out on our second trip around the lot. After a very nice lunch we started the trip home. I was surprised to see five more bikes parked around in the space where we were parked. Who knew you could park that may vehicles in such a small space. I really should have taken a few pictures of the beach at the waterfront, but...maybe next time.

We rode up Route 5 to the Benjamin Harrison Memorial Bridge. There was construction going on on the bridge so we ended up waiting on the bridge for about 15-20 minutes before we could cross. It seems that the highway department is painting the bridge. I did take the camera out again the island in the middle of the river looked like a interesting place. I zoomed in on a few shots but really couldn't see what I was taking a picture of (the glare from the sun wasn't helping). I found out once home and able to "really" see - there were birds landing on the driftwood of the island's beach.



I also took the opportunity to take a picture of the trike and Lucky as well. While I was shooting the bike Lucky pointed out a bird flying by carrying a fish -- the bird was too fast for me to get (darn all those settings). But it was another neat thing to add to the list things that I'd seen during the day.

After the bridge was fially opened up once again, we ran into a few sprinkles, but nothing to be more than just slightly bothersome. As we coming into Hopewell - we saw a couple of does grazing back off the road. Then on the way up Route 10 towards Chester, right around the turn for Henricus we saw this huge groundhog out under the powerlines. While we were watching he started running. I don't know what scared him, but for an animal of his size he was really moving.

172 miles later, we ended the ride back at the apartment. It was a great day. Calm, relaxing, and unhurried. I'm really beginning to understand why so many people are taking up riding. It's not all good marketing.

On a different note, as I was leaving out Dean called to let me know that Sean was once again suffering from a migraine headache. This time it was a bit more on the severe side. He took him to St. Francis' to have him checked out in the emergency room. They gave him some meds in an I.V. plus a couple of other shots. One was steroid that is supposed to make the headaches much less frequent. He was home and resting comfortably when I checked back in with them when I got home.

No comments: