Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Wacky Tuesday

I started off the day by chasing an elusive "red moon". Walter called me at 2:00 a.m. to let me know that the moon was an eerie red color and that I should go out and get a picture. I hopped out bed, grabbed the camera and headed for the door. Where I promptly discovered that I was not able to see anything. So I ventured out on a quest to capture this phenomena on 'film'. I headed westward on Hull Street with the thought that once the trees cleared out just a bit I could find a place where better to see this red moon. No such luck. It had probably already set by the time that I had gotten out the door.

Well trip turned out to be a bust, but then again there were apparently a bunch of actual busts going on last night as well. Law enforcement was everywhere! One officer was lurking under the bridge at 288, and another with a couple of cars pulled over near the house. I thought at first it was a sobriety check point, but they had the trunk open in the car that they had pulled over.

I spent the day at the front desk, learning what to do. Answering the phone is the easy part. Answering the questions from the calls is an entirely different matter. It is going to take some time to get it all together to be truly fully effective.

As I was checking out one of the patients today, she handed me a card with her husband's blog, The Snail and Other Poems. He is posting his poetry and their love story. Once it is complete he will be publishing it as a book. What a way to share how much you love your spouse, devoting a whole website and publication to them.

This evening Walter & I headed out to look for the current edition of Rolling Stone magazine so that he could read the newest controversial article. It was not to be. The clerk at Barnes & Noble told us that they had literally flown off the shelf. They were all sold out and didn't even have a suggestion as to where we could get a copy.

Not to let a trip to the bookstore go to waste, we wandered around the store for a bit seeing if anything caught our interest. We did find a few of the headings amusing. On one set of shelves the headings read: "Self-Help, Relationships, Sexuality, and then Psychology" Did they really mean it that way??? There seemed to be some sort of subliminal message in that line up.

After wandering around a bit longer one of the clerks asked if she could help us find anything. Well, we really didn't think that she could, since we've been waiting for eight years Jean Auel to complete her next book (there had been 12 years between the last two - so we really weren't expecting anything). Low and behold were we surprised! Her next book, The Land of Painted Caves: A Novel comes out in March 2011. This will be the final book in her Earth Children series. We were tickled pink. I have already reserved our copy. Walter is absolutely thrilled that he will finally get to finish the series.

Email & Newsletter Gleanings:

An Observation

The last four letters in "American" = I Can
The last four letters in "Republican" = I Can
The last four letters in "Democrats" = Rats

End of Lesson. Test to follow in November. November will be set aside as "Rodent Extermination Month".

No comments: