Monday, January 22, 2007

Icy Monday

An abrupt phone call awoke me this morning, it was from the county school informing us that schools would open 2 hours late. Lovely. We have been using the SchoolsOut.com service for years, now they are calling us too! What is up with that?

Anyway, the trees look beautiful with their limbs encased in a thin layer of ice. It looks so magical. The ice, since it is a thin layer, has everything looking sparkling. Only the ultimate painter & craftsman could ever have created such a beautiful sight. Isn't the Lord's handiwork wonderful!
Sean is getting to sleep in this morning and his whole school day will be abbreviated down to hardly anything at all.

Can ya'll tell me just why it is that Monday's so hard? I know it is the getting back to routine, but really...

The thumb is aching and my shoulder/arm is weak from the tetanus shot. I'm going to be pretty worthless today. I did fix Dean's lunch, but that was a real challenge. Being right-handed and trying to operate left-handed is extremely disorienting. This is what my pitiful thumb looks like. I did clean it up a bit so that no one would get sick. But the whole purpose is to show what an awkward place that it is and why it is giving me so much difficulty.

Walter came to visit me and to borrow a game from dad. I got him to agree to play a few hands of cards with me and then...he won the first hand. After that he packed up the cards and said that he was quitting while he was ahead. He just plain ole' weenied out! I just frighten him...he's scared that I'll beat him.

I've got dinner in the crockpot, a nice beef stew. I think that I'll toast up some french bread to go with it as a nice accompaniment. The stew is beginning to create a delightful aroma in the house. Which has led to the girls are starting to mill around the kitchen looks for a bite. They will just have to wait until later on...they will get their food when it's time.

Then again they may just be a bit stir crazy - since they have been inside for the majority of the day. The icky weather has kept them in, and wanting to stay inside. Lilly has been going out alone and then coming right back inside. Miracle! I think it is just because it is cold.

I had almost forgotten, Dean is heading out to school tonight. It is only his second class, because they had a holiday on the second week of class.

Email & Newsletter Gleanings:

Thoughts for the Day:
  • "People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing -- that's why we recommend it daily." - Zig Ziglar
  • Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
  • "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." - Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
From the Patriot Post

“Let each man resolve to be victorious, and that the right of self-government, liberty, and peace shall find him a defender.” —Robert E. Lee

“[M]y religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave.” —Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson

"Biggest Lie"

Two boys were arguing when the teacher entered the room. The teacher says, "Why are you arguing?"

One boy answers, "We found a ten dollar bill and decided to give it to whoever tells the biggest lie."

"You should be ashamed of yourselves," said the teacher, "When I was your age I didn't even know what a lie was."

The boys gave the ten dollars to the teacher.

2 comments:

JoeBlogs said...

Those pictures are nice, crystal clear.

Judy said...

Thank you - I do enjoy doing close up photography. I slipped outside this morning before the sun came up and melted everything.