Friday, January 12, 2007

Friday

No jury duty today, and I'm pretty darn sure that I won't have to go Monday, as it is a "holiday", and the courts are closed.

We had a wee bit of excitement here this morning, Miss Debbie locked herself out of the house. Oops! So I ran over to help her out in getting back in, we had to break a chain but were able to do it without damaging anything else. Now she has a new job...shopping for a much stronger chain and...a prettier one.

Once we had the getting in taken care of, Carla was dancing about in her kitchen. It took a minute to figure out, but everytime she ever goes to Debbie's she gets one of these tiny MilkBones, thus the dance. She got her treat and danced merrily away. I will say that the girls are great when it comes to anyone being near the house. They will sound the alarm and continue to do so until they find out who it is or they go away.

We had another bit of excitement, we had a "drive-by" viewing of the house. A couple drove by and stopped in front of the house and took a good long look. So at least we know that the other realtors are talking up the new listings.

Now that I am up and about, I am going to attack the walls in the hallway upstairs with the steamer and maybe, perhaps...get to the liquor store to see if I can get some boxes to start the packing. Well, I've done nothing that I initially thought I was going to do. As for liquor store - they are closed today for "Lee-Jackson Day" and on Monday for "Martin Luther King Day", so that busted those plans. I instead went off in another direction totally. I've been working in the front bathroom patching up a place and rehanging the towel bar from a piece of moulding. It is going to be much more secure on the wall than just hanging from sheetrock.

Of course, to get started on these projects it involved a trip to Lowes, sawing, sanding, and spackling. Now I am in the wait portion of the project - things need to dry before I can proceed any further. Most likely I will be able to get the moulding painted this evening before I get to bed and that will at least give me one of the two projects in that room completed. I've also fixed the two loose spindles, one on the stairs and the other on the outside rail. Yeah! I really feel accomplished.

Sean and I had an appointment out today at noon and the office that we were visiting has a great pond in front and around back of the building. The geese are a normal fixture and I took these shots from the turn lane, on our way into the parking lot. Sean manned the car with the emergency flashers going while I snapped away. We only had three cars come up behind us while I was taking the photos and I was far enough back not to cause them any trouble.

This is a very unlikely looking pair. The Canadian goose is normal, but a seagull? That is one bird that I was not expecting to see, especially with hanging out with the geese. These two seem to be sharing the view of the waterfall in the distance. It was a great view, but to see them in this position although it was just by chance was quite entertaining.

They didn't stay that way for long because...

Here they seem to have gone their separate ways in search of a tasty morsel of something. They were hanging out in an area where there was freshly sown grass. The area had straw covering the ground. Just the thing for hungry birds to feast upon. These guys must be a landscapers worst nightmare, forever eatting all their work. I bet they also cost a fortune to clean up behind.

We had arrived early for our appointment so we treked around to the rear of the building and walked along the edge of the pond. This is a view from near the end of the pathway.
Sean was enjoying exploring the pond edge and was really have a great time with the dried cattails. Here he looks like he is walking in a snow, but it is really a shower of cattail seed.

I have developed a plan for getting rid of the bookcase in the hallway - instead of just throwing the whole thing out I am going to cut it down to fit the space in Walter apartment where he needs a bookcase. I'll be able to kill two birds with one stone on this one.

We had a hit on the house today - a realtor has scheduled an appointment to show the house on Saturday afternoon. It's only been on the market for a full day and we've already got our first showing. I've gone into overdrive trying to get things ready, but there is just no way that I can get it all done by then. I did finish working on the caulking in the bathrooms, and steaming the walls in the upstairs hallway clean. Things are looking great, but then I see other things that need to be done as I go along. I guess that I'm just getting picker, than possibly needs to be, but then again....

Walter is heading home this afternoon from out of town. I'm sure that I will hear from him today to find out how the trip went. He dropped by after he got in this evening and asked for a bit of help in repairing his dashboard. The cracks seemed to have filled well, but it needs to cure overnight before he can mix a color to blend in over the repair. He helped me take a few things out to Mom & Dad's this evening to store, while Dean took Sean and his friend out to the movies.

I've checked on jury duty for next week - none for Monday or Tuesday. Monday was expected and Tuesday turned out to be a bonus.

Email & Newsletter Gleanings:

Thought for the Day: "Problems are opportunities in work clothes." Henry Kaiser

"G.P.A."

At the end of the college year, a star football player celebrated the relaxation of team curfew by attending a late night campus party. Soon after arriving, he became captivated by a beautiful young thing and eased into a conversation with her by asking if she met many dates at parties.

"Oh, I have a 3.9, so I'm much more attracted to the strong academic types than to dumb party animals," she said. "What's your G.P.A.?"

Grinning from ear to ear, the jock boasted, "I get about 27 in the city and 38 on the highway."

Five Short Chapters on Change
Chapter 1.
    I walk down a street and there's a deep hole in the sidewalk. I fall in. It takes forever to get out. It's my fault.
Chapter 2.
    I walk down the same street. I fall in the hole again. It still takes a long time to get out. It's not my fault.
Chapter 3.
    I walk down the same street. I fall in the hole again. It's becoming a habit. It is my fault. I get out immediately.
Chapter 4.
    I walk down the same street and see the deep hole in the sidewalk. I walk around it.
Chapter 5.
    I walk down a different street.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i must have missed something?? where did it say you guys were thinking about moving in the first place? i must be skipping past important info! ha! you are selling your house and don't know where u are moving? how scary is that? well, looks like we are going through some of the same things!! here i am in process of looking for boxes to move as well! i am about to get very stressed out! just found out today they will be coming tuesday to move my home! ah! we will be homeless! how scary is that?! well, good luck and update me where i missed the info.
sandi