Thursday, January 4, 2007

Thursday

Alice and I had a really neat conversation this morning about the weird quirks that all the critters at my house have individually:
  • Rascal (cat) - for the longest time we thought that he had a cold, turned out that instead of a runny nose, he was actually drooling. He does this particularly when there is silky nightgown material involved that he can knead on, lick and go to sleep. Facinatingly odd.
  • Carla (dog)- everyone loves her and wants her clone. Her disposition is fantastic and you could not ask for a better behaved/mannered dog. Her one issue is the paraket, which she thinks belongs to her. Don't mess with Tweat or Carla will be right there watching over and making 'whinny' noises until you put the cage back where it belongs.
  • Tweat (bird) - has a right good time biting your finger when you get her on it to look at her. She has a great fascination with peeling bark off sticks that I put in her cage for perches. Knot holes are the best! they give her something to do for weeks. She also will throw a tantrum when she wants her food cleaned out, remove the empty hulls.
  • Lilly (dog) - she is has her own personality. She is turning out to be a sweetie. She is learning to walk/potty while under the control of the leash; housebreaking is coming along - still the occasional accident but I am learning her signals; she really likes to play fetch in the house; and is becoming a good "watch dog". She has some funny things that she does, like beating up the leash when she goes out - she attack it and tries to eat it for a few minutes, but then goes on like nothing is there. As she is only 17 weeks old - we still have a long time to really see how her personality is going to turn out.
As far as I know Walter has headed back to work today, I hope that he doesn't have too bad of a time.

I did run up the the high school today to deliver the gifts to Danielle, however, her car ws not there. I hope that neither she or Faith are isn't under the weather. I'll try again tomorrow, hopefully I will have better luck.

Progress on the Christmas clean up! I've gotten the greenery back into its proper storage container along with the window candles. The Nativity is boxed, as well as the tree ornaments. The tree is my final "big" thing to get done. I just truly hate manhandling the box to get the tree back into it. Perhaps this evening....

The sky is beginning to darken with clouds, it is seems that the rain that is predicted for tomorrow is on its way to the area. I do dislike grocery shopping in the rain. It makes such a mess when I'm bringing in the groceries. Maybe I'll get a nice break in the rain as I come out of the store tomorrow and when I arrive back home so that I don't get soaked.

The overcast sky has put Sean in a sleeping mode - I was watching Phantom of the Opera and he came in and laid on the sofa and promptly went to sleep. He was all cuddled up with Lilly until she jumped down. That's when he grabbed the blanket to cover up with. I think the music also help to lull him off to sleep as well. Even both of the girls are all stretched out asleep. If I didn't have dinner preparations to think about I think I would have joined them.

I received a double surprise this late afternoon, Walter came by after work to visit; and I received a telephone call from Danielle. Seems she was sick for a couple of days right after the new year and now Ben and Faith have come down with the same thing. I missed her at school because she only went in for one class so she could be back to take care of Miss Faith. Who for the first time that I have ever heard was truly fussy. I did get to talk with her too. She talked back - it sounded like she said Hallo.

This evening we went out for a quick run to Blockbuster to rent a movie or two. The guys rented:
  • Snakes on a Plane, and a game
  • Kill All Humans II
I did pick out a movie, but mine I think will be much more humorous:
  • C.S.A. The Confederate States of America - Not a humorous movie at all. After I watched the whole thing I found out that it was a Spike Lee production. No wonder I it was done the way it was. It was okay, but not something that I would have picked up if I had realized it was done by Spike Lee.
On the way home the moon was extremely beautiful I tried to take a picture of it and I don't think that I did too bad a job. I took this one from our driveway. Night pictures of the moon are extremely difficult.

Email & Newsletter Gleanings:

Thoughts of the Day:
  • "There's no such thing as bad food," Mama used to say. "There are only spoiled-rotten children." - Sam Levenson
  • Scaredy cats stay safe. Mad cats take a chance - T. Harv Eker
  • "Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved." ~ W.J. Bryant
  • I believe that we are solely responsible for our choices, and we have to accept the consequences of every deed, word, and thought throughout our lifetime. ~ Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Answer: When it’s time to make choices.

Recent research from the University of California found that the two most critical emotions that affect decision-making ability were fear and anger.

People who reported often feeling fearful made choices to avoid risk. Conversely, angry people tended to make choices that entailed some sort of risk.

That fear creates risk-aversion in decision making while anger can be galvanizing is no surprise. What surprised researchers was finding that people who considered themselves happy were also more willing to incur risks when choosing between alternatives.

But what decisions don’t involve some sort of gamble? Certainly when presented with choices that could have far-reaching consequences, debilitating fear is a bad thing. The cure for such paralysis, especially when stuck between Hobson’s rock and hard place, may be simply to get really miffed. Then, make like a running shoe and just frickin’ do it.

How We Choose to Be Happy.

From the book How We Choose to Be Happy, by Rick Foster and Greg Hicks, the nine steps to choosing happiness are as follows:
  1. Intention – Make an active choice and commitment to being happy.
  2. Accountability - Refuse to blame others or view yourself as a victim. Assume personal responsibility for your actions, thoughts and feelings.
  3. Identification – Look deep within and find out what makes you happy. Make a distinction between what you feel and what others say should make you happy.
  4. Centrality – Insist on making those things that bring you happiness central to your life.
  5. Recasting – Transform stressful problems and trauma into something meaningful, important, and a source of emotional energy.
  6. Options – Approach life by creating multiple scenarios. Be open to new possibilities and adopt a flexible style to your life’s journey.
  7. Appreciation – Savor your life and enjoy the people around you. Stay in the present by viewing each experience as something precious.
  8. Giving - Share yourself with friends, family and community. Give to the world at large without expecting anything in return.
  9. Truthfulness – Make a choice to be honest with yourself and others.

No comments: