Friday, January 19, 2007

Friday

We got the GEO sold last night, Walter is going to help Patrick get it moved out one day this weekend. So no more little red car in the driveway by the end of the weekend. She was a good little car and is going to get fixed up and have a new owner to have fun with. [I did have to make a stop by the new owners house to fix a booboo on the title - I check a box incorrectly so I had to write up a mistake letter to go with it.]

No pretty white, wet stuff outside today; it's just cold and damp. A perfect day to go grocery shopping (yuck). I really don't mind the shopping it's the checking out; getting it in the car; getting out of the car; into the house; out of the bags; and into the proper location in house that really gets to me. I would be great if all that stuff would just "teleport" right from the store to where it is suppose to go. Ah, the fantasy life of sci-fi, or better yet a 'replicator' then you don't have to go anywhere.

WOW, we are back from the grocery store. It wasn't a stress event as it has been over the past few months. In fact, we managed to get through without even the thought of pull our hair out by the roots. As I was putting away our purchases, I received another phone call from the showing agency - the house will be shown again on Saturday afternoon.

I got out this afternoon and dug up my small dogwood tree. This is one that I got as a seedling from Alice's house. I still don't know if it is a white one or pink one. It hasn't ever bloomed yet. It is only about two feet tall now and since we are moving I'm considering turning it into a bonsai. That I need to do some research on first, but for now it is out of the ground and into a good sized pot to hold it over for the time being. I took a picture of it in the pot then decided to play around with it awhile and the picture here is the result. My "little" dogwood tree complete with background, running stream and fairy sitting by his house. It really shows off the shape of the tree so far.

I just found out today that Dorothy "Dot" Hart Hutchinson, passed away on January 11th. I was so surprised to hear it. It was a real shock. I remember when I was high school and doing her hair, so many years. I have always enjoyed catching up with her whenever we had the opportunity. I know that she will be missed by many.

Alice just informed me that she may have a line on a full-time job for me, it would be an Administrative Assistant position. Oooh, oooh I even have a diploma in that...Ha! Ha! Ha!

This evening Walter got back in from out-of-town and promptly popped over here with plenty of things that he needed me to "help" him do. Not that he really needed me, he just wanted me to go with him to get it done. It is always more fun when you have someone who will go with you to harass you nicely along the way. Our agenda included the following:
  • Fueling up - diesel. I got some on the car and then used the window cleaner to "hose it down".
  • Hancock Fabric - We picked up some canvas to repair the back of one of Walter's jackets that he tore when he wrecked on his bike.
  • Walter showed me the location of the new Middle School that will be behind St. Francis' Hospital and the location of the new Genito High School.
  • Patrick's House - To leave the title booboo note.
  • Wal-Mart - I had an exchange to make and Walter had a couple of items to pick up. He ended up finding a stero stand for his apartment at a really great price.
Now for the funny story of the evening: When we got back into the car from the fabric store, Walt changed CD's and then tried to back up. It didn't work. I told him the car wasn't even started yet, so he turned the key and nothing happened. Well, he tried a couple of more times and then we phoned Dean to bring the jumper cables and jumpstart the battery, so he could go get a new one. To kill a little time we walked over to P&Q Bar-be-que and got a cup of coffee, and walked back to the car to talk and wait. For some reason Walter put his hand on the shift and realized the car was in reverse. Smacking himself against the head for forgeting the #1 rule in starting a car, make sure it is in park before starting. Sure enough he slipped into park and she started like a dream. We were able to get a call off to Dean before he made it all the way over to Midlothian. I really appreciated his gallant effort in coming to rescue us, but we did all get a good laugh over the who "reverse" issue. We finally made it back and Walter went off on his way back home.

The house has two showings tomorrow, so we won't get much of anything done at all around here except to straighten up and leave. The first is at 10:30a.m. and the second and 2:00p.m. Alice's brochures will be out and available. It does seem like everyone likes them. I just hope we have some movement if there is going to be any. This leaving so much is beginning to take it's toll. You really don't have time to get involved in anything before it's time to go, and then it would take so much to clean up any mess you would have. Once it's under contract then perhaps we can step back and finish up what we had planned to do and then get to finding a place of our own to go to.

Sean even got out of the house this evening to go skating. I'm sure that he will have had a great time, he always does. It gives him the opportunity to really burn off a whole lot of extra energy.

Email & Newsletter Gleanings:

Thought for the Day: Where there is fear there is no creativity. - Christopher Lowell

Teddy Roosevelt said it best

Teddy Roosevelt outside the "Nightlife Saloon" 99 years ago, said:
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant, who comes here in good faith, becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an Am erican, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Use The Phrase Finder to Uncover the Origin of Common Sayings

The Phrase Finder lists some 1,200 common sayings, proverbs and idioms and their origins. You may be surprised to learn about the most common sources of English idioms:
  • The sea
  • The Bible
  • Shakespeare
For example, you can learn how the making of felt hats, using mercury compounds, was responsible for the phrase "as mad as a hatter." Oh, I knew this one from the family genealogy on the Smith's, as one of the earliest Smith's was a hatter.

Guardian Angel
Angels exist, only sometimes they haven't got wings and we call them friends; you are one of them Something wonderful is about to happen to you and your friends. Tomorrow at 9:12 AM somebody will address you and tell you something you have been waiting to hear. [I'll be waiting...won't we all. I really liked the graphic work on this one. So of course that is the main reason it is here.]

"A Wild Friday Night at My House"...


How True it is
Another year has passed, and we all are a little older.
Last summer felt hotter and winter seems much colder.
I rack my brain for happy thoughts, to put down on my pad,
but lots of things that come to mind just make me kind of sad.
There was a time not long ago when life was quite a blast.
Now I fully understand about "Living in the Past".
We used to go to friends homes, football games and lunches.
Now we go to therapy, hospitals, and after-funeral brunches.
We used to go out dining, and couldn't get our fill.
Now we ask for doggie bags, come home and take a pill.
We used to often travel to places near and far.
Now we get backaches from riding in the car.
We used to go out shopping for new clothing at the Mall
But, now we never bother... All the sizes are too small.
That, my friend is how life is, and now my tale is told.
So, enjoy each day and live it up...Before you're too dadblamed old!!
Where the heck did the years go??

No comments: