Friday, October 6, 2006

Friday

Rainy, rainy, rainy day...we could need to pull out the hip waders before it is all done raining. Some reports are telling us to expect about 3-inches of precipitation over the weekend. We will see.

Walter dropped by early this morning to visit, since he is not working due to rain. He gave me this photo of him that his crew chief "B" took, using Walt's cell phone, to prove that he actual does some work in the field. They were working in Bottoms Bridge at the time. I do believe that he was actually having a good time, at least he is smiling.

Sean is home today with the same thing that he came home with early yesterday. Hopefully a weekend of being in and treated will get rid of it, so that he doesn't miss any further school due to being sick.

I've gotten the laundry started this morning and opened up all the mini-blinds so that the light can come in. Tweat has been enjoying the open view of the outside. Laundry is all done and ready to be taken upstairs. We've even managed to get some lunch in too.

Walter dropped back by on his way home from visiting with Mom & Dad, and stayed around awhile. He and Sean had a nice conversation together. To my surprise, Mom was able to get Walter to sit for a portrait while he was visiting there. So I have it here to share. I think that the background gives it quite the tropical mood.

Email & Newsletter Gleanings:

Thought for the Day: "As long as you are going to be thinking anyway, think big." Donald Trump
Optimism

A family had twin boys whose only resemblance to each other was their looks. If one felt it was too hot, the other thought it was too cold.

If one said the TV was too loud, the other claimed the volume needed to be turned up. Opposite in every way, one was an eternal optimist, the other a doom and gloom pessimist.

Just to see what would happen, on the twins' birthday, their father loaded the pessimist's room with every imaginable toy and game. The optimist's room, he loaded with horse manure.

That night the father passed by the pessimist's room and found him sitting amid his new gifts crying bitterly.

"Why are you crying?" the father asked.

"Because my friends will be jealous, I'll have to read the all these instructions before I can do anything with this stuff, I'll constantly need batteries, and my toys will eventually get broken." answered the pessimistic twin.

Passing the optimistic twin's room, the father found him dancing for joy in the pile of manure. "What are you so happy about?" he asked.

To which his optimistic twin replied, "There's got to be a pony in here somewhere!"

A Penny for your Bee Sting
"A mystical solution?"

A couple of weeks ago I was unfortunate enough to get stung by both a bee and hornet while working in the garden. My arm swelled up so off to the doctor I went.

The clinic gave me cream and an antihistamine. The next day the swelling was getting progressively worse so off to my regular doctor I went. Infected arm - needed an antibiotic. What was interesting is what the Dr. told me. The next time you get stung put a penny on the bite for 15 minutes. I thought, wow , next time (if there ever is one) I will try it.

Well that night Shelley's niece got stung by two bees. When she came over to swim I looked at the bite and it had already started to swell. So off I went to get my money. Taped a penny to her arm for 15 minutes. The next morning, there was no sign of a bite. Wow , were we surprised. Her niece, we decided, just wasn't allergic to the sting.

Well guess what happened again on Saturday night. I was helping Shelley dead head her flowers and guess what, you are right , I got bit again two times by a hornet on my left hand. Was I ticked. I thought here I go again having to go to the doctor for yet another antibiotic. Well I promptly went into the house, again got my money out and taped two pennies to my bites and then sat and sulked for 15 minutes. The penny took the sting out of the bite immediately. I still wasn't sure what was going to happen. In the meantime the hornets were attacking Shelley and she got bit on the thumb. Again the penny. The next morning I would only see the spot where he had got me. No redness, no swelling. Went over to see Shelley and hers was the same. Couldn't even tell where she got bit. Then Shelley got stung again on Monday night on her back cutting grass. This penny thing is going to make us money at school. Again it worked.

Just wanted to share the marvelous information in case any of you are experiencing the same problem at home. We need to have a stock of pennies on hand at school.

The Dr. said somehow the copper in the penny counteracts the bite.

No comments: