Tuesday, October 3, 2006

Tuesday's Outting

This morning went smoothly. Sean got off to school smoothly and easily. He was ready for the day. I had a quirky idea this morning and ran out to the backyard and found a stick and cut it to perch size for Tweat's cage. She was estastic. She ran back and forth across the stick and then nibbled at the bark. I believe that it really increased her enjoyment of her perch.

I'm off this morning to around mid-day to attend a meeting with Mom at their church. Their speaker today is Christopher Columbus. He will be taking some time out of his journeys to tell us something about himself. I am looking forward to hearing his presentation.

Christopher Columbus was quite an interesting individual. He explained the purpose of his journey to the new world was as a missionary trip. That was the purpose of the crosses on the sails of the ships, to identify them as Christian ships. He also said that when they first claimed new lands they did so first for Jesus Christ, then for Spain.

I really enjoyed talking with the gentleman who sat next to me at lunch. He was interested in gardening and such. So we had a very plesant time. He was very "grandfatherly". I didn't realize I missed having time with my Papaw & Granddaddy as much as I do until I talked with this gentleman today. Times were so much simpler then. We even covered the "outhouse" jokes. After the presentation Mom & I went back to her house to repot the rosemary bush that Danielle had given me for Mother's Day. This way it will be in the house for the winter. Mom also gave me another Japanese bamboo bush, I planted it without digging a hole behind the bird feeder.

This afternoon Walter dropped by for a brief visit and ran out with me to pick Sean up from the girls basketball game that was played this afternoon. It was kind of him to do the driving. Sean said that the school's team won and that he enjoyed the game.

I think that I am going to head up to bed early this evening, I feel stuffy and terrible. Hopefully if I get to sleep early it will knock it out quickly.

Email & Newsletter Gleanings:

"Build It and They Will Come"

The telephone solicitor selling basement waterproofing must have thought she'd died and gone to heaven when she reached my very polite and patient son on the phone. At the end of her long sales pitch, she asked, "Do you mind if we send out someone to give you an estimate?"

"Not at all," my son said.

"When would be a good time?" she asked.

My son answered, "Just as soon as I dig a basement."

No comments: