Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween

May all our little Trick or Treaters have a fun and fantastic time this evening. To all those attending Harvest Festivals be sure to have a terrific time and enjoy all the activities. Sean is planning on being our resident candy dispensing agent while he will surely have no trouble hearing the bell as he will have the company of Carla & Lilly to announce our arriving guests.

Mom is popping by this morning to get a perm. I'm sure we will have a great visit while I get it all rolled up. We are going to run out and pick up the perm from Sally's. Dean is working on his remaining homework before he heads off to a Microsoft seminar this afternoon. Perhaps he will be as lucky as last time and receive one of the doorprizes again this year. Sean will be working on his assignments while working on keeping everything he needs to do around here.

Trick or Treat

We got Mom's perm done this morning and it looks wonderful, the curls took wonderfully. We had a very nice visit and I helped Mom pick out the photos that she is submitting for a contest she is entering. I hope that she'll do well. Now all she has to do is get them all labled and in the mail.

While we were sitting on the deck doing all this organizing and letting Mom's hair dry, Carla and Lilly were 'playing' or at least coming to some sort of understanding in who is the top dog and who isn't. I thought for a while that they were trying to kill one another, but it was just too strange. Lilly had hold of a fleshy piece of Carla's neck and Carla was getting her by the scruff of the neck and making her lay down. It was a riot to watch after we figured out they weren't really hurting one another. During this same time period Lilly figured out how to get off the porch, but it was for the best she went potty on her own. I was so proud of her!! and to top it off she did it a second time a short while later.

Sean has been working on his homework on the deck this afternoon. Miss Rachel came over to visit with Sean in the early afternoon. She was a very nice girl. I was able to get this photo of her.

She invited Sean to walk around this evening while she took her her niece & nephew 'trick or treating'. Since he has complete a portion of his homework I think I'll put in a good word for him to be able to go. I believe that they will have fun.

Dean came home from his seminar with a new t-shirt and several other Microsoft goodies. He said that it was very informative. Then again after he got back home, work was paging once again. Who knows how long it will take him to deal with the new mess that they've got going on.

Alex PotterWe didn't get our first, Trick-or-Treater until after 6:30 and that was our neighbor Alex. He was decked out as Harry Potter. Looking Good! Debbie was out walking with him and said that she was dressed out as an "Exhausted Mom". She's so funny. Our house was their last stop on their way home. Alex had quite a haul, and was all set to hand out candy at his house having already finished up with his own fun out.

We had loads of goodies leftover, I don't believe that we had more than 30-40 Trick-or-Treaters. An amazingly few amount given the size of the neighborhood and the number of people that usually come in by vehicle from other neighborhoods. It was probably a low turn out due to Halloween falling on a school night.

We did have a several very cute costumed children: a fireman, vampire, several princesses, dancers, and some of the boys dressed up in dreadful monster outfits. Most of them were small children although we did get some as old as 15.

Of course, the dogs nearly died from trying to get out. They were over stimulated by all the excitement. Lilly & Carla both would bark & run to the door, wanting to go out and "see" who was outside the door. Dean finally got Miss Lilly to sleep - I helped keep her that way by sitting on the porch with the candy to keep the door bell from ringing. Miss Lilly was so tired she went to sleep around 8:30. I don't expect to even have to take her out at all tonight. I don't think she'll have the energy.

Danielle said that she was going to take Miss Faith to several houses to Trick-or-Treat. I hope that she will send along a picture of her in her costume. I don't even know what she had planned to dress her up in. I do hope that they had fun.

Email & Newsletter Gleanings:

Thought for the Day: No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man. - Heraclitus

Memory Improvement

I knew that as I was getting older, and finally able to admit it, certain things were starting to "slip". In an effort to prevent this "slippage", I went enthusiastically to a three-hour seminar on memory improvement. After an hour I slipped out, I took the same course, given by the same professor, last year.

Organization

My sister was bemoaning the fact that she had procrastinated cleaning and organizing her house for a long time. Since she was planning to entertain, she felt a lot of pressure to get moving. That afternoon she phoned, sounding glum.

"I went to the bookstore," she explained, "and I bought a book on how to get organized. I was all fired up, and I decided to clean out all the shelves in the living room. While I was cleaning, I found the same stupid book. I had bought it a couple of years ago!"

Becoming Illegal (From a Maryland resident to his senator)

The Honorable Paul S. Sarbanes
Senate Office Building
309 Hart, Washington DC, 20510

Dear Senator Sarbanes,

As a native Marylander and excellent customer of the Internal Revenue Service, I am writing to ask for your assistance. I have contacted the Department of Homeland Security in an effort to determine the process for becoming an illegal alien and they referred me to you.

My primary reason for wishing to change my status from U.S. Citizen to illegal alien stems from the bill which was recently passed by the Senate and for which you voted. If my understanding of this bill's provisions is accurate, as an illegal alien who has been in the United States for five years, all I need to do to become a citizen is to pay a $2,000 fine and income taxes for three of the last five years. I know a good deal when I see one and I am anxious to get the process started before everyone figures it out.

Simply put, those of us who have been here legally have had to pay taxes every year so I'm excited about the prospect of avoiding two years of taxes in return for paying a $2,000 fine. Is there any way that I can apply to be illegal retroactively? This would yield an excellent result for me and my family because we paid heavy taxes in 2004 and 2005.

Additionally, as an illegal alien I could begin using the local emergency room as my primary health care provider. Once I have stopped paying premiums for medical insurance, my accountant figures I could save almost $10,000 a year. Another benefit in gaining illegal status would be that my daughter would receive preferential treatment relative to her law school applications, as well as "in-state" tuition rates for many colleges throughout the United States for my son.

Lastly, I understand that illegal status would relieve me of the burden of renewing my driver's license and making those burdensome car insurance premiums. This is very important to me given that I still have college age children driving my car. If you would provide me with an outline of the process to become illegal (retroactively if possible) and copies of the necessary forms, I would be most appreciative. Thank you for your assistance.

Your Loyal Constituent,
Pete McGlaughlin

Get your Forms (NOW)!! Call your Internal Revenue Service 1-800-289-1040. Please pass this onto your friends so they can save on this great offer!!!!

No comments: