Monday, November 27, 2006

Back to Normal Monday

Good morning all time to get myself back into the normal groove of the house. The day was in no way as exciting as the last several have been. I got back into the normal household doings. Laundry, vacuuming, sweeping, cooking, and other various sorts of cleaning. I didn't have an extra ordinary amount of laundry to do - so I threw in all the throw pillows to freshen them all up for the holidays and get any puppy smells out of them that happen to be lingering about.

The dogs were well behaved today. Lilly tried to have me either sit with her or sit in my lap to sleep during the day, but she's gotten heavier and I couldn't keep that up all day long. She did pop into her own bed a couple of time to sleep on her own without being scolded or told to go to her bed.

I had an exciting piece of mail this afternoon, Danielle beat me in getting out the Christmas cards this year. I had to share the one they sent, being that it is a photo card of the whole family: Ben, Danielle & Faith. They all look quite well and happy.

Poor Dean was been held up at work this evening. I guess he's about 2 1/2-hours past due for now, but at least he's phoned to let me know that he got tied up and is finally on the way home.

Walter dropped by for a visit this evening on his way to class. He's brought his laundry over for me to help him out with - he out of clothes and time to the laundry. I'll have it all done by the time he gets out of class tonight. He even sorted it with me. I think that I even found about a $1.75 in the pockets that I get to keep. Hehe.

Email & Newsletter Gleanings:

Thoughts for the Day:
  • "Yesterday's thoughts have created your present. Today's thoughts are creating your future." James Newman
  • "Good boundaries is good self-care." - Cheryl Richardson
  • "One can't believe impossible things, "Alice said. "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as 6 impossible things before breakfast." From Alice in Wonderland
  • Bless that which you want.- Huna philosophy, T Harv Eker
Dilbert Cartoons

Dean received these in his email this morning. Hmmm...I wonder what the message behind them was??
JUST A MOM?

A woman, renewing her driver's license at the count clerk's office was asked by the woman recorder her occupation. She hesitated uncertain how to classify herself .

"What I mean is," explained the recorder, "do you have a job or are you just a......?"

"Of course I have a job," snapped the woman.

"I'm a Mom."

"We don't list 'Mom' as an occupation, 'housewife' covers it," said the recorder emphatically.

I forgot all about her story until one day I found myself in the same situation, this time at our own Town Hall. The Clerk was obviously a career woman, poised, efficient and possessed of a high sounding title like, "Official Interrogator" or "Town Registrar."

"What is your occupation?" she probed. What made me say it? I do not know. The words simply popped out.

"I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations."

The clerk paused, ball-point pen frozen in midair and looked up as though she had not heard right. I repeated the title slowly emphasizing the most significant words. Then I stared with wonder as my pronouncement was written, in bold, black ink on the official questionnaire.

"Might I ask," said the clerk with new interest, "just what you do in your field?"

Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice, I heard myself reply, "I have a continuing program of research, (what mother doesn't) in the laboratory and in the field, (normally I would have said indoors and out).

I'm working for my Masters, (first the Lord and then the whole family) and already have four credits (all daughters). Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities, (any mother care to disagree?) and I often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it). But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are more of a satisfaction rather than just money."

There was an increasing note of respect in the clerk's voice as she completed the form, stood up and personally ushered me to the door. As I drove into our driveway, buoyed up by my glamorous new career, I was greeted by my lab assistants -- ages 13, 7, and 3. Upstairs I could hear our new experimental model, (a 6 month old baby) in the child development program, testing out a new vocal pattern.

I felt I had scored a beat on bureaucracy! And I had gone on the official records as someone more distinguished and indispensable to mankind than "just another Mom." Motherhood! What a glorious career! Especially when there's a title on the door. Does this make grandmothers "Senior Research associates in the field of Child Development and Human Relations" and great grandmothers "Executive Senior Research Associates"? I think so!!! I also think it makes Aunts "Associate Research Assistants".

No comments: