Sunday, August 6, 2006

Sunday Splash

We headed out this morning to Maidens a boat landing on the James River for some fun in the sun and in the water. We tried to get Walter to go with us, but he is a bit gun shy since his last incident with sunburn. The water was so clear that we were able to see the bottom all the way across the river as we walked across to the island. I packed up all the towels and other stuff into one of the ziplock mega-size bag and I was able to float it across without any trouble. The guys were having a great time floating down the river and walking back up. Dean headed back to the car and picked up the cooler with our lunch in and brought it back to the island.

Sean found on river rock that was about the size of a fist that has some interesting stripes in it. I think that he and Dean are going to use it in the office as paperweight. In the picture above Sean reminds me of an otter trying to open shells with a rock, although he only has a couple of hands full of interesting rocks.

I found it particularly relaxing to sit in the river and feel the current as it swirled around me. It had a nice water jet feel to it. Then the walking on the sandy bottom of the river was a great way to smooth the bottom of my feet in a hurry. Talk about exercise as I walked up the river to see what the guys were looking out - having to battle the current and the sand.

The butterflies were floating upon the wind, like a leaf with only an unknown destination. The wind gives chase and hampers their progress around every turn. They battle the turbulence in search of a safe harbor. The birds were singing, frogs croaking, and the katidids singing their song all in harmonious accompaniment to the sounds of the river passing by the shore.

The bateau was anchored next to the shore at the boat landing. While we were out in the river we saw a a large church group come down to have a river baptism. They baptized a large number of people. It was wonderful to see, and from the applause coming from the shore is was also a joyous time.

This is part of the island that we were on -looking to the opposite side of the river, away from the boat landing. There was a group that camped out on the island overnight. After speaking to them we found out that they had had a very pleasant experience there overnight. That could be a possible camp out idea.

I should note here that I did take my sketch pad with me on our trip, and used it! I know it has been a while since I've stepped out to do anything regarding painting or drawing. One small step at a time. Hopefully I will get back into the true swing of things and be painting again before too long. As it is said, "the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." So this is my first step.

This evening I walked out onto the deck around 7:30 p and saw the most unusal site - a hummingbird was feeding at shamrock plant that I had sitting on the deck railing. It was so incredible. He then buzzed by my head on the way to other flowers.