Thursday, September 7, 2006

Mushroomy Thursday

Wow! What a surprise when I looked out the window first thing this morning. The fog was so dense that it appeared to be a deep blanket of snow. I wasn't even able to see all the way to the end of our sidewalk. Now, isn't there something about the number of foggy days being tied to the number of snowy days? Aw...I don't remember it for sure, but if it is anywhere as snowy as it was foggy this morning we are going to be in a heap of deep snow come winter.

I've gotten most of my list accomplished today. Just a couple of items left, but they'll be done before the end of the day. I even managed to program the speed dial and add numbers on the second digital phone. While I was working on that Tweat was having an absolute fit. She was fussing up a storm everytime I started the programming process. I think she was "fighting" or "talking" to the tones that she was hearing.

The biggest thing that I did today was to begin my private Photoshop CS2 lessons that Alice has me working on. We've worked up the course syllabus for the next three (3) months so that I can complete one book during the first semester. Then she has another for me to work on for second semester. Oh boy.

I also made a tour around the yard to see what the rainy weather had wrought; mushrooms/toadstools are sprouting everywhere. This trio of mushroom, from the deck looked like a brown and serve roll that had fell apart.

The grass is greening up and if I'm not mistaken there are even a few new sprouts. There are a number of other plants appear to be dead. Spring will tell the tell, although I'm pretty sure that there are three juniper bushes that are gone for sure.

This little guy was clinging to the back of the car. I bet he was surprised when I started chasing him around the trunk area of the car with the camera. He was hustling around trying to get away, at one point he even climbed onto the camera.

Sean had a pretty good day at school. He's out and about in the neighborhood enjoying the nice afternoon weather. He was out and about with the guys in the neighborhood. They were playing kickball, hide-and-seek, and some of the other usual outside games.

When he came in before dinner he brought home this BIG surprise. It was while he was out on his afternoon adventure he came across this mushroom or is it a toadstool. This thing is huge! It is about 8-inches across and 5-inches tall. It also is quite heavy. It was growing under the edge of one of the bushes just on the otherside of the fence behind our yard.

From the top this thing looks like a loaf of bread. Holding it in your hand it feels like a loaf of bread and has the feel of bread crust. It also looks like a loaf of the signature flower pot bread that one of our local restaurants serves. It is really freaky how unmushroom looking that it has grown.

I don't know if it is a mushroom or a toadstool. I've never seen anything this large growing out in the yard. As you can see some bug or other critter had eatten a hole into the stalk. Which gives it the appearance of being some type of birdhouse.

I decided to play around with the "toadstool" and have a little fun. I set up the toadstool with a little statute of a fairy that I had picked up at last year's Highland Games and Celtic Festival.

He looks so at home in front of his villa. The hole gives a terrific entry way for our friendly fairy to enter and exit from his home.


It was fun staging the "scene" and making it just right. Watching me take the photos could have been a really interesting spectator sport, as I was laying in our driveway. Then it gave me some additional practice at Photoshop editing the final images.

Quote of the Day: Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

From the email bag:

A little girl was talking to her teacher about whales.

The teacher said it was physically impossible for a whale to swallow a human because even though it was a very large mammal its throat was very small

The little girl stated that Jonah was swallowed by a whale.

Irritated, the teacher reiterated that a whale could not swallow a human; it was physically impossible.

The little girl said, "When I get to heaven I will ask Jonah".

The teacher asked, "What if Jonah went to Hell?"

The little girl replied, "Then you ask him".

No comments: