Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas

We awoke this morning to not a white Christmas, a wet one. No matter the weather is not what will make the day. We had a wonderful time this morning around the tree. Sean received a large corner desk for his room to hold his computer and television. Sean gave me a new Braun coffee maker that even has a filtration system in it to filter the water before the coffee brews. I can that it will be busy with all those pots of coffee that it will be brewing in the future.

Lilly joined us in the living room to open presents and see what Santa had left us in our stockings.

Lilly was delighted to help "shred" the wrapping paper and any tissue paper available. She was so funny. She even was taking hold of empty Slim Jim wrappers and licking them until could not possibly be any oils left on the wrapping.

Santa even left us an interesting article in our stockings - COAL! I didn't think that he ever did that. Oh well, I guess that there are times that we've all been naughty and deserved a lump or two. Santa even left stuff in stockings here for Walter and Danielle, so I guess that I will have to let them know that they need to drop by to find out what he left.

Louise sent us home a special package for the house and it turned out that we now have a new kitty. Her note read, "This is a family gift but mostly to even things up for Rascal. There are 2 dogs & only 1 cat so this gift will help Rascal not to be outnumbered. No litter box required! Be kind to her - she's just a baby."

Now our new kitty, Cuddles, and Lilly had a very interesting moment. In fact, Cuddles frightens Lilly and causes her to get very worried. Such a big dog frightened by such a tiny kitty.

I've checked on Walter this morning, he isn't feeling much better, so he will be staying home today. Since he will be going out of town tomorrow for work he needs all the rest and recuperation that he can.

Danielle & her family won't be joining us as they are out of town - We all wish them a wonderfully Merry Christmas. May their time together be joyous.

Dinner is coming along nicely. Things will all fall together just as they always do. We did receive a call that Steve & Robin will not be joining us as Clara has been running a temperature during the night. - Miss Clara get well soon. We will miss all of ya'll today.

Everyone arrived not too wet for the trip. Tim & his family came from across the river, as well as the Owens'; Mom & Dad had the shortest trip here this year. There was plenty of food and plenty of leftovers as well as copious amounts of sweet treats. We had a delicious dinner - everyone brought their best dish. Following dinner we moved into the living room for presents.

Now this year I was handing out gifts with some help from Samuel so I really didn't get a large number of photos, however, there were four cameras present Samuel's, Tim's, Mom's and mine. So hopefully someone got some nice pictures. I did get one of the two photographer's hanging out in the hallway. As most everyone knows Tim really doesn't like getting his picture taken so I think I did really well to get this on the sly.

Sean received a telescope from Aunt Barbara & Uncle Jimmy - it is going to be really nice once the weather clears up. Mom & Dad gave Barbara a super Scottish Santa wearing his kilt (I forgot to find out if he was a "regimental" Santa or not). I may have to check with Barbara later about that one. Mom & Dad gave me one of the neatest candles it is battery operated and looks just like a "real" one. So neat without the fire hazard. Abbie & Samuel were so good and well behaved we hardly knew that they were about. I know that they were really anxious to get back home to their gifts from Santa.

I did manage to get on picture of Tim, so reminencent of Walter Stapleton, by slipping out to get new batteries for the camera. I told him that this one was going out on the blog - I don't know whether he believed me or not but here it is for all the world to see.

We finished out the get together by adjourning to the kitchen for coffee and dessert. Barbara, Mom & Elda each out did themselves with the delicious baked goods.

Dean & I let the girls out of their crates to spend some time downstairs since they had been upstairs for so long. Lilly is crashed out on the sofa sleeping with Dean and Carla is asleep in her usual place under the end table. Even though she is suppose to be on crate rest, sleeping downstairs is the same thing as long as she and Lilly aren't playing around.

Tomorrow is our third day of Christmas, we will be spending the middle of the day with Dean's brother's family. Then all the Christmas festivities will be over with the exception of getting gifts to those who weren't here: Alice & her family; Walter's gifts from everyone and passing along the contents of stockings to both he and Danielle. Alice and her family are going to attempt a drive by gifting this evening on their way home from her in-laws home. The gift that we got for them will give the kids a little extra something to do tomorrow.

Email & Newsletter Gleanings:

Thoughts for the Day:
  • "While theoretically, television may be feasible, commercially and financially I consider it an impossibility, a development of which we need waste little time dreaming." Lee DeForest (around 1946)
  • STRESSED is just DESSERTS spelled backward.
At Home

While I was dining out with my children, a man came over to our table, and we started talking. He asked where my kids go to school. I told him we home-schooled them. With a raised eyebrow, he asked if my husband is the sole breadwinner for our family. I said, "No, I also work ... out of our home."

Then, noticing our two-month-old son, he mentioned that his daughter had just had a baby, and he wondered what hospital our son was born in. "He was born at home," I answered. The man looked at me, then said, "Wow, you don't get out much, do you?"

No comments: