Friday, May 11, 2007

Friday

Well it is Friday and I've been really busy for the last few days.

I went out with a bunch from work on Wednesday night. We all went down to Havana59 in Shockoe Slip. It was a really neat place. Open air, with ceiling fans, great music and atmosphere. We tried out a few dishes that may be served at a company gathering in June. Delicious grouper and swordfish. The grouper actually could have melted in your mouth.

Later on we were checking out a number of other places around the same area and saw some really strange sights. There was one teenager, turns out she was 17, so drunk that she turned in to a real exhibitionist. Pulling up her top, then her skirt. Not too much later have her "show" she ended up being assalted - some guys busted up her face and stole her purse and got away. I will say Richmond's finest showed up to deal with the situation quite quickly. They were able to get her to the hospital for attention, but she wasn't very cooperative with them even though they were trying to help her. Being silly is one thing, but she pulled out stupid and had a party with it. If it were so disturbing and sad, it could have almost been comical. I feel sorry for her.

Today, we got out right at 5:00 p.m. I spent the time potting a few plants and cleaning off the patio. Carla played out in the grass. She certainly loves to roll in the grass.

I received and interesting "polling" phone call from a Harvard polling group - boy did they get an ear full. Alice was on the other line with me and I'm sure was about to roll over some of the answers that I gave to them. At the end they asked if a reporter from the Washington Post could call me, I told them sure. There are just not may opportunities in life to actually tell a political reporter what you think. Could be fun :)

Email & Newsletter Gleanings:

Thought For the Day: You have a friendly heart and are well admired.

Singing Fish

Jimmy: 'Hey, Mike! How's your new pet fish doing? You told me he was really something special.'

Mike: 'To tell the truth, I'm really disappointed in him. The guy who sold him to me said I could teach him to sing like a bird.'

Jimmy: 'What? Let me get this straight... You bought a fish because you thought you could teach him to sing like a bird?'

Mike: 'Well, yeah. After all, you know, he's a parrot fish.'

Jimmy: 'Now listen, Mike, while you might be able to teach a parrot to sing, you're never going to get anywhere with a parrot fish.'

Mike: 'That's what you think! It just so happens this fish CAN sing. The thing is, he's terribly off-key and it's driving me crazy. Do you know how hard it is to tuna fish?'

Aviation Aptitude

It seems that a young man volunteered for military service during World War II. He had such a high aptitude for aviation that he was sent right to Pensacola skipping boot camp.

The very first day at Pensacola he solos and is the best flier on the base. All they could do was give him his gold wings and assign him immediately to an aircraft carrier in the Pacific.

On his first day aboard he took off and single-handedly shot down 6 Japanese Zeroes. Then climbing up to 20,000 ft. he found 9 more Japanese planes and shot them all down, too.

Noting that his fuel was getting low, he descended, circled the carrier and came in for a perfect landing on the deck. He threw back the canopy, climbed out and jogged over to the captain. Saluting smartly he said, "Well sir, how did I do on my very first day?"

The captain turned around, bowed, and replied, "You make one velly impoltant mistake!"

No comments: