Monday, July 17, 2006

Muggy Monday

Today looks like it is going to be a very humid and nasty day, one that is going to keep everyone inside. I took a brief foray outside to repair and refill the bird feeder. The squirrels gnawed through the rope holding it up, I guess they were trying to get it to drop and spill out anything left inside. They were sure disappointed, because it was already empty.

I also watered my plants on the deck that are in pots, the poor things were terribly wilted - the parsley and oregano was wilting away and the petunias are beginning to get straggly looking. But I'm sure that it would not have been very a very healthy thing for me if I had stayed outside much longer. It is my understanding that we are under a poor air quality alert. I'm even worried when I let Carla out for more than about 5-10 minutes at a time.

Elda and I postponed the kids swimming lessons until next week. Neither she nor I thought that it would be healthy enough for either the kids, her (with all the allergies), or I to be out in this weather - we all need to be able to breathe to swim.

Legal Shine!

I read an interesting article in the Richmond Times-Dispatch this morning about a Mr. Chuck "Moonshine" Miller who runs Belmont Farm Distillery in Culpeper County. It seems that he has become the first legal moonshiner in Virginia, able to sell his product, Copper Fox directly to his consumers at the distillery. The story goes on to tell how he inherited his moonshine recipe from his grandfather, and even uses the copper still that his grandfather used under less legal circumstances. What I found interesting came at the end of the article which is quoted:

Miller laments what he says is a dying art that is an integral part of America's history. "The Indians had the corn; the Europeans had the technology," he said. "Then you had the colonists trying to hide it from England to avoid taxation. And George Washington himself put down the Whiskey Rebellion." "It's our heritage and tradition. It's our history," he said. "Some people might say that's a strange way to look at it. But that's how I see it." From an article in the Richmond Times-Dispatch

No comments: