Saturday, July 15, 2006

Sultry Saturday Road Trip

We took a road trip this morning to Colonial Williamsburg. We started out in the visitor's center watching their introductory movie to the Historic area. We started our tour at the Governor's Palace, our guide was very informative and pleasant. We made our way down the Duke of Gloucester Street to King's Arms Tavern for lunch. It was a very pleasant meal. The service was excellent and very relaxed.

Then we headed off back up the street to explore the various shops. We toured the Printing Office and the Post Office. The Printing Office was located next to a stream that runs under the Duke of Gloucester Street. It made the office are a bit cooler than some of the other places.

I do believe that we stopped to do a bit of shopping in each and every shop in the Historic area before heading on to Market Square. The boys having been successful in obtaining the greatly sought after rock candy. Our stop at the Market Square turned out to be a fruitful stop for me as it yielded a summer hat, with peach and beige ribbons - and it matched the outfit I was wearing for the day, and also some lovely scented soaps as well as lavender powder.

We attempted to secure a carriage ride but they were completely booked by the early morning. We did find out that in order to schedule a ride we would probably have to be at the Lumber House Ticket Office by 8:30 on any given morning to secure the carriage. Wow, that is early.

I slipped into the Colonial Garden and was able to find a busy bee on a grand thistle. The size of the thistle blossoms were about the size of woman's fist. The garden also had some exotic fruit trees planted, as well as some sunflowers that were nearly the size of a charger plate, if not larger. The boys saw an extremely large lizard by the fence but I wasn't able to get there fast enough to get a photo.














While the boys were taking a peek into the Harness & Saddlemakers shop and I found a lovely gated garden behind the shop. I found a "painting" that is just waiting for me. The photograph itself is awesome, I only hope that when I am able put brush to canvas I will do it the justice that it deserves. I did get several other photographs of the gated garden but this one just seems to call to me.

The humidty was becoming oppressive as we finally made it all the way to Merchant's Square and into the Barnes & Noble to cool off. While inside it we found that there was an upstairs cafe and a great place to have a seat. It was nice to sit down inside and enjoy an icy cold Raspberry Italian Soda, to over come the sultry weather outside. Much to our surprise while sitting in the cafe a sudden downpour arrived. We thought for awhile there that we were going to look like drown rats just getting from the store to the bus stop, but just as suddenly as it arrived the shower passed.

We headed in the Merchants Square area and found an interesting gallery in one of the upstairs shops. They had quite a number of unique and whimsical items. For the truly pampered they even had silk slippers.

We found that the early evening that we had hung around for was called off due to the rain, but not to be discouraged we made the walk back toward the Governor's Palace.

I stopped off again in the Colonial Garden and was amazed to see several humming birds feeding on the bee balm plants. If you look closely in the shot with the red flowers the humming bird is feeding on the top flower to the right. It was amazing to watch and even more amazing that I was able to capture the image.

The boys wanted to pick up some more rock candy and we continued back up the street, where I met up with a friendly little squirrel, he came down one of the side streets and almost right up to my feet as I was looking for other "painting" to catch my eye. He really was something else. I do believe that he was expecting a snack when he got close enough to me to reach one.

We took an alternative route back to the bus stop to return to the visitor's center, near the Randolph House I came upon this cat sitting upon the fence, looking quite mischievous. He appeared to be posing while I was taking the photograph. In another photo he jumped down from the fence and stat on the bricks just at the gate once again "posing".

My final shot was at a creek behind the Governor's Palace. This was on the path that led back to the bus stop. The horizontially striped reeds were quite interesting. The little stream was crystal clear and appeared so inviting and refreshing, especially after the humid hours that we had been walking around the Historic area.

As we were walking around Duke of Gloucester Street, I remembered an elderly lady that I used to visit in a nursing home near to where we lived (when I was in about the 5th or 6th grade) in the 70's. She was in her late 70's or early 80's at the time and she would tell me all about what is now the Historic area of Williamsburg. Her family lived at the end of Duke of Gloucester Street and she remembered being able to see the capital from near her home. Of course, the things that she told me about were prior to the Colonial Williamsburg foundation taking over the area. I wish I was able to recall all the bits of history that she told me.

No comments: