Thursday, July 20, 2006

Thursday's Thrills

Well the weather has changed a bit. At least the temperature was below 70 when I started the day. I don't believe that we got that much rain last night, however, it did come down at least a little earlier this morning. As there are some puddles on the deck boards. And here I thought that by sitting my indoor plants outside last night that they just might get a really good soaking. Perhaps next time.

By-the-way and update on the laryngitis, the voice is coming back around but is still scratchy and a bit painful at times. I have a bit of a cough that has developed but I'm pretty sure that it from allergies. The rain we had last night just was enough to knock what is aggravating me out of the air. The last time I was like this it last about three weeks! It would be wonderful if the time passed a bit more quickly this go round.

I spoke with Walter this morning he is making the rounds this afternoon. He's coming over to pick up his mail and perhaps talk a bit before heading back down to Chester. It seems that he left his backseat there - It was get a makeover. Danielle's mother-in-law, was altering a seatcover to fit. Since she has been down from having surgery on her foot, it does seem that she is getting stir crazy. This gave her the opportunity to do something different without going out or being up. He and I even had a delightful conversation about our "herb gardens" and the condition of some of the individual plants and their reaction to the current weather conditions.

I'm off to see Dr. Peery about my eyes this morning. Oh no! It looks like my sight is beginning to change a bit and it appears that I'm going to have to get some new eye wear or contacts. I'm tending to leaning towards contacts if they are something that I am going to need to be wearing all the time.

Great news, my eyes haven't changed since 2002. Amazing. I just need to get a new pair of glasses to help with the reading/computer work. I found a really nice pair that totally disappear when I put them on. I will probably use them much more while singing in the choir, since I didn't like the way the old ones looked (too dark). Much to my surprise...they are Italian, too. So I guess that is in line with the whole Italian/beach thing that I have going on at this point in life.

This evening I was able to enjoy sitting outside for awhile this evening after supper. I believe I even nodded off a couple of times. Tomorrow is the dreaded grocery day - so much to do. At least I'll have a bit of help tomorrow.

Mom sent this along and it really did seem like it would be something to see.

Mars

The Red Planet is about to be spectacular!

This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will ulminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs onMars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only bec ertain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification.

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.

Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10p.m.and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m. By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30a.m. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars growprogressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

Share this with your children and grandchildren.
NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN

No comments: