Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Hot, Humid & Hazy Tuesday

I see that we are for temperatures at or near 100-degrees today. I hate to think what the heat index here will be. We are under another air quality & heat advisory for the day. Of course, the recommendation is for everyone who has any type of respiratory problem is to stay inside. It's hard to believe that we are having temperatures this high before mid-August. I was able to get a load of laundry started before I headed out to the yard.

I'm sure glad that I got out early this morning. I was able to water the transplanted plants along the back fence as well as the potted plants on the deck rails, before any of the extreme heat started to catch up with us.

I found this rose blossom peeking out of the scrambled eggs - this is the "Shamrock Rose". This is a rose that I received from Alice when she was getting her backyard into "child" readiness about five years ago. It is such an interesting green color when it blooms.

I noticed that the small flowers transplants that I brought home from Mom's a couple of days ago have begun to bloom. They are so pretty - the one that is blooming is white with a purple center. I hope that I will also have several that are pink. This evening...when it isn't so oppressive, I'll need to get outside and pot them in a proper pot.

I also found that one of the several tomato plants that I had found in the monkey grass that I had picked up from Mom & Dad's house, to put around the base of the birch trees, had produced several blossoms. So I have tomato plants growing in the monkey grass under the birch tree. I believe that it is a tommy toe tomato, but then again I don't know that for sure.

This fellow was hanging out next to the front door this morning I thought that he was a cicada, but that isn't correct. He was very cooperative in having his photo taken. He just sat there pretending that he wasn't there and I was around either.

I've been trying to figure this one out by searching online - that's how I found out that he wasn't a cicada. So I think my next search is going to be for a leaf bug? Or, I'll just break down and send an email to Steve and ask him. But I'm afraid that if we keep that up he'll start charging for each question email. Hehe. I found it! she is a Broad-Winged Bush Ktydid (scudderia pistillata Brunner 1878). She is a type of grasshopper.

It looks like I'm going to be able to get those couple of loads of laundry done before 9 or 9:30 a.m., that I was shooting for so that the heat doesn't build up extra in the house.

It looks like just another day of trying to stay cool.

I finally received a phone call from Walter, who has been "missing" all weekend. It seems that he has been tutoring his sister in chemistry since the middle of last week and still has a few more days to go. The reason he was "out of touch" was that he left his cell phone in the work truck over the weekend. Silly bug :)

I got outside for about a half-hour this afternoon and potted the seedlings that Mom had given me. I put them into a hanging basket and hope to have it hung up within the next few days. I also repotted the shamrock plant into a larger pot to give it a bit of growing room.

Mom & Dad dropped by on their away across the river to drop off some fresh green beans and a couple of tomatoes. We enjoyed one of the tomatoes with dinner this evening. It was wonderful.

This evening Bubba has been going freaky. He keeps chasing my fingers around the bowl. When I am using the mouse with the computer. I think he is trying to play with them or at least the shadows that they project into his bowl. He's just hanging out down at the bottom of the bowl waiting for me to move my hand over towards the mouse. It is quite entertaining.

No comments: